The West Gippsland Healthcare Group is committed to protecting your privacy.
We must follow laws which keep your personal and health information private. Some examples of Victorian laws that relate to confidentiality and privacy are:
- Health Services Act 1988 (Vic)
- Health Records Act 2001 (Vic)
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
- Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic)
Why Do We Collect Your Health Information?
Your health information is used in planning your care and shared decision making.
How Do We Protect Your Health Information?
WGHG staff have a legal duty to keep information about you private. We have policies and procedures to make sure we meet privacy laws. These laws are about how we collect, use, share and store your health information. Patient health information can only be read by authorized staff in line with WGHG’s Privacy of Personal and Health Information Policy.
Click here for the How My Health Information is Kept Private brochure or you can get a copy at any WGHG site.
We collect information of clients, donors, suppliers and customers of our non-medical services.
We may use this information to let you know about our services or other things of interest.
We will not share information about you without your consent, unless for a legal reason.
If you don’t want to receive promotional materials, such as our newsletter, please notify us.
Call the Public Relations Manager on (03) 5623 0611.
How Can You Get A Copy Of Your Information?
You can apply under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982 to see your health information. To apply you must complete a FOI Application form.
You can find out more and get the form on our Freedom of Information page.
Electronic Medical Records
West Gippsland Healthcare Group is transitioning to a new Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system to improve the way we document your care resulting in better patient outcomes.
This roll out kicks off on Monday 24th of October. Patients may experience longer than usual wait times while the transition to the electronic system takes place. We ask for your patience and understanding while our staff navigate through the new process change.
Your hospital information will be secure in the EMR and only access by staff involced with your care and treatment.
The EMR will make it quicker and easier for your healthcare team to find the information they need to provide the best care to you and your family.
How an EMR can improve patient care
- A complete picture of your care and treatment across the West Gippsland Healthcare Group services.
- Access to your most up-to-date information at all times.
- Equipment, such as mobile workstations, handheld devices and barcode scanners, to help them deliver and record your care.
- Support to make the best clinical decision with the help of prompts, alerts and reminders in the system.
- Immediate notification if you for you any reason need urgent care.
If you are coming to hospital for appointments you will:
- Find that your information will be in the system so you won’t have to repeat your story or fill out unnecessary paperwork.
- Wear a barcode on your wristband so your information can be checked – this will help to safeguard your care with processes such as providing medications.