If you’re coming to West Gippsland Hospital or Cooinda Lodge Nursing extra time for car parking as major building works are to begin.
MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT
A $9.3M project to construct an eight-bed short stay unit alongside the Emergency Department and a third operating theatre on level two of the main hospital are set to begin under the Victorian Labor Government’s Regional Health Infrastructure Funding (RHIF) project.
Intrec Management has been awarded the contract to build the projects with site works to commnence from November 7, 2018.
WGHG Chief Executive Officer, Dan Weeks, said builders’ compound and fencing would be put in place and some areas of the hospital and car park will be impacted.
The main public access areas to be disrupted during construction include:
• Front hospital and Emergency Department roundabout off Landsborough Street.
• Cooinda Lodge Nursing Home front entry and ramp
• Rear car park drop off area and quadrangle at the top of Consulting Suites driveway off Landsborough Street
• access via the doors near the cafeteria
Mr Weeks said ensuring staff and visitors are informed and disruption minimised will be a major focus throughout the works.
“A new roadway will be constructed across the lawn area at the front of the hospital to increase car parking and create a new patient drop off area.”
“In the meantime and throughout construction, there will be unavoidable disruptions for visitors, staff and patients especially in relation to traffic management as the projects are taking place simultaneously.”
“Regular site updates will be provided on our website, throughout the hospital, local media and signage to assist patient and visitors.
If non-ambulant people anyone need please phone hospital recpetion on 03 5623 0611 and a hosputal attnndant can be called to help with an electric wheel chair.
Mr Weeks said when the project was complete it would provide much needed additional physical capacity on site to cope with the growing demands for our services.
“While the projects do not form part of longer term plans for the hospital, this new third theatre, Short Stay Unit and increased parking will provide much needed short-term additional capacity to cope with the growing demand.“
Information on the works and disruptions can be found at www.wghg.com.au or by contacting the Facilities Management Team on 5624 0595 or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location of RHIF Building projects at WGHG:
Short Stay Unit next to Emergency Department at front of hospital (see indicative plans below)
Construction of the Short Stay Unit alongside the Emergency Department (ED) will impact on the entrance to the main hospital, ED main entry and Cooinda Lodge nursing home front entry and ramp.
• A temporary all abilities ramp will be constructed for foot traffic to the main hospital entrance, ED and Cooinda
• Roundabout and patient drop off at the front entrance to the hospital will be closed to vehicles
• Car parking spaces reserved for disability parking and Cooinda Lodge at the front of the hospital have been moved forward to a new bay in the front driveway off Landsborough Street during the construction
• Cooinda Lodge residents and visitors who use the front Cooinda entry and ramp will be disrupted. They will need to park at the rear of Cooinda and enter via the rear entry doors or through the second entry via the hospital green corridor.
Third Theatre (see indicative plans below)
The rear drop off area and quadrangle at the top of the first driveway off Landsborough Street past the consulting suites will be closed to enable construction of the third theatre.
• Patients and visitors who need to attend the Mary Sargeant building for District Nursing and Haemodialysis are being advised to park in the car park off Ley Street and enter via District Nursing front entrance where disability parking is also provided.
• Staff and visitors accessing rear officers, meeting rooms and seminar room will also need to enter via Ley Street.
Civil Works Roadway
• Footpath closest to front hospital building will be closed
• Landsborough Street entry will be disrupted at various times
Below: WGHG SHORT STAY UNIT (INDICATIVE ONLY)
Below: WGHG THIRD THEATRE (INDICATIVE ONLY)