West Gippsland Healthcare Group provides acute medical and surgical, obstetric, emergency, community and aged care services, primarily in the Shire of Baw Baw, approximately 100 kms east of Melbourne.
We operate from a number of sites. They are West Gippsland Hospital, Community Health Centres in Warragul, Trafalgar and Rawson, Cooinda Lodge and Andrews House aged care residences, and Warragul Linen Service.
Our history dates back to 1888 when the community established a hospital to service the area between Melbourne and Sale. A member of an early settler family, Mary Sargeant, donated the land on which West Gippsland Hospital, the main campus of the Group, now stands.
We have health service delivery responsibilities across a mixture of rural, urban residential and agricultural areas located within the Shire of Baw Baw, and draw clientele from the peripheral east and west of the shire. The Group services a primary catchment population of approximately 52,500. The administrative headquarters are located at West Gippsland Hospital in Warragul, the largest town in the West Gippsland area.
We enjoy close links with other healthcare providers including the Ambulance Service, general practitioners, residential aged care providers, the Baw Baw Shire, other public and private hospitals and a range of other healthcare professionals in private practice.
To deliver the best health outcomes for the West Gippsland community.
To improve the health and wellbeing of our community by enabling access to high quality, contemporary, person-centred healthcare.
Our behaviours and decision making centres around our values of:
- Respect – we treat others as we would like to be treated
- Leadership – we role model the desired behaviours and speak out when this is not demonstrated
- Accountability – we take personal responsibility for our actions and results
- Collaboration – we work effectively with our consumers, staff and community
- Improvement – we look for opportunities to improve our services and outcomes
West Gippsland Healthcare Group has successfully achieved accreditation by meeting the requirements of the following:
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care’s National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards
- Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission’s Aged Care Quality Standards
- Registered National Disability Insurance Scheme Provider with all standards met
- Human Services Standards all met
- Child Wise Accreditation standards met
- Warragul Linen Service full accreditation of ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- Full Food Safety certification
- Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Accreditation
WGHG applies the Victorian Child Safe Standards across all areas of our services.
Culturally Safe Health
We are committed to achieving culturally safe health practices for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people.
We acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which our services are located, and we pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.
West Gippsland Healthcare Group acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.